National Institute of Technology, Jamshedpur, NIT Jamshedpur, NITJSR, Jharkhand /
Regional Institute of Technology, Jamshedpur
Year of Establishment :
National Institute of Technology Jamshedpur (NIT Jamshedpur), formerly Regional Institute of Technology, Jamshedpur, is the third NIT opened by Govt. of India in joint venture with the Govt. of Bihar, way back in 1960.
National Institute of Technology, Jamshedpur was initially founded as Regional Institute of Technology in 1960. It was among the first eight Regional Engineering Colleges (RECs) established as part of the Second Five-Year Plan. It was the only REC which was set-up as an institute of technology rather than a college of engineering at that time.
NIT Jamshedpur, since its establishment in 1960, was in Singhbhum district. After division of the district in 1990, its position came under the West Singhbhum district. After further division of the West Singhbhum district in 2001, NIT Jamshedpur finally came under Saraikela-Kharswan district of Jharkhand.
The college was upgraded to National Institute of Technology on 27 December 2002, and granted the status of a Deemed University. The college has intake of 3000 Undergraduates & about 200 graduates students.
College Grade / Ranking :
The institute is located in Adityapur town of the district which is at the border of Saraikela-Kharswan district and East Singhbhum district. Adityapur is a highly industrialized town having hundreds of small and medium scale industries.
NIT Jamshedpur is about 10 KM from the Jamshedpur main bus stand at Sakchi, 8.5 KM from Tatanagar railway station and only 2 KM from Adityapur railway station. The tariff charges by taxi/auto cost Rs 120/- on reserved basis and Rs 15/- to 18/- on shared basis from Tatanagar Railway Station to NIT Jamshedpur campus.
The railway station of Jamshedpur is known as Tatanagar Junction. Tatanagar (Jamshedpur) is a main railway junction & it is linked directly to all the major cities of India.
Courses / Departments :
The Institute has the following departments :
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering(CSE)
- Electronics & Communications Engineering
- Electrical & Electronics Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Metallurgical and Materials Engineering(MME)
- Production and Industrial Engineering
2) Department of Computer Application
4) Humanities & English
Student Societies @ NIT Jamshedpur :
The Student Activity Section of the institute is highly active. College clubs include :
1) CES : Civil Engineering Society is run by the students of Civil Engineering Branch.
2) MES : Mechanical Engineering Society was started by the Mechanical Engineering Department, N.I.T. Jamshedpur
3) SAE : Society of Automotive Engineers is the SAE collegiate chapter of NIT Jamshedpur. It started functioning from 2007.
The other societies :
1) Engineers Adventure Club
2) CSI Student Chapter
3) IEEE Student Chapter
4) Robotics Club
5) Sun Club
- CDS : Cultural and Dramatics Society
- LDS : The Literary and Debating Society
- VEC : The Values & Ethics Club
College Campus :
NIT Jamshedpur's campus spreads over 350 acres of land.
The academic and administrative buildings are located between the Up-Hostels and the Down-hostels. The institute is at the middle of the industrial belt of Adityapur.
The main market place Bistupur is 5 km away from the campus. The Campus is extremely charming with Greenery, thick foliage, and mountains in the background.
The college canteen is located near to the main college area. Canteen in the down's hostel area is recognized as ' Shyam Da's '.
1) Manthan - Annual College magazine
2) Prodigy - Annual Production and Industrial Engineering branch magazine
The Central Digital Library is a three storied building, which caters to the academic needs of students. It has Reading rooms and Stack rooms. The library subscribes to a number of scientific journals and magazines. The library has a total floor space of over 33000 sq. feet and houses over one lakh books.
Festivals / College Events :
1) Ojass / Cryptex :
The annual techno-management festivals of the college. The events draw participation from famous institutions like IITs, NITs and other colleges of India. Cryptex is solely managed by the Department of Computer Science and Engineering.
2) Utkarshis - the annual cultural festival of the college. It is organized at national level and participants from the colleges all over the India participate. The college's FACES club members organize this event where 'Shades' is an important event.
3) Technica - Annual metallurgy fest by Department of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering.
Campus Placements :
National Institute of Technology, Jamshedpur
Jharkhand - 831014
Nearest Landmark : All India Radio Building
Tel : +91 657 2373407 / 2373392 / 2373375
Fax : +91 657 2373246
National Institute of Technology, Jamshedpur Website : www.nitjsr.ac.in
Opinion / Review :